- Physiological boundary conditions for Navier-Stokes flow
- Coronary blood flow, and its control mechanisms in health and disease
- Convergence and accuracy of numerical schemes for PDEs
- Adaptivity for automatic error control
- Finite element analysis
- Mono/bidomain simulation of cardiac electrical activation
I received my MMath (mathematics) degree from Warwick in 2008, followed by a DPhil in Computational Cardiac Electrophysiology from Oxford in 2013. During my doctoral research, I developed a strong interest in the use of numerical computation for answering difficult questions in biology, and in particular, how we can design numerical tools so that they are as fast, powerful, and useful as possible to researchers.
Upon completing my doctorate, I joined the Figueroa Lab at KCL as a Research Associate, working on a project to design large-vessel Navier-Stokes blood flow boundary conditions which accurately model the properties of distal vascular beds. I am interested in determining the effect of these models on the global haemodynamics, and in the sorts of questions we can answer when we can accurately determine the blood flow to particular organs, with reference to the disease state of the whole cardiovascular system.
- T.M.J. van Bakel, C.J. Arthurs, J.A. Herwaarden, F.L. Moll, K.A. Eagle, H.J. Patel, S. Trimarchi, C.A. Figueroa. “Hemodynamic Performance of Different Endograft Designs for Zone 0 Aortic Arch Repair: A Computational Study”. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. DOI: 10.1093/ejcts/ezy068 pdf_icon_20w .
C.J. Arthurs, P. Agarwal, A. John, A. Dorfman, R. Grifka, C.A. Figueroa. “Reproducing patient-specific hemodynamics in the Blalock-Taussig circulation using a flexible multi-domain simulation framework: applications for optimal shunt design”. Frontiers in Pediatrics. DOI: 10.3389/fped.2017.00078 .
P. Youssefi, A. Gomez, C.J. Arthurs, R. Sharma, M. Jahangiri, C.A. Figueroa. “Impact of Patient-specific Inflow Velocity Profiles on Haemodynamics of the Thoracic Aorta”. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. DOI: 10.1115/1.4037857 .
C.J. Arthurs, K.D. Lau, K. Asrress, S.R. Redwood, C.A. Figueroa. “A Mathematical Model of Coronary Blood Flow Control: Simulation of Patient-Specific Three-Dimensional Haemodynamics during Exercise”. American Journal of Physiology – Heart and Circulatory Physiology. DOI: 10.1152/ajpheart.00517.2015 .
- F.J.H. Nauta, K.D. Lau, C.J. Arthurs, K.A. Eagle, D.M. Williams, S. Trimarchi, H.J. Patel, C.A. Figueroa. “Computational Fluid Dynamics and Aortic Thrombus Formation Following Thoracic Endovascular Aortic Repair”. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. DOI: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2016.09.067 .
- C. J. Arthurs, M. J. Bishop, D. Kay. “Efficient simulation of cardiac electrical propagation using high-order finite elements II: Adaptive p-version.” Journal of Computational Physics. Vol. 253, pp. 443-470.
- G. R. Mirams, C.J. Arthurs, M. O. Bernabeu, R. Bordas, J. Cooper, A. Corrias, Y. Davit, S. J. Dunn, A. G. Fletcher, D. G. Harvey, M. E. Marsh, J. M. Osbourne, P. Pathmanathan, J. Pitt-Francis, J. Southern, N. Zemzemi, D. J. Gavaghan. “Chaste: An Open Source C++ Library for Computational Physiology and Biology.” PLoS Computational Biology. Vol. 9, p. e1002970.
- C. J. Arthurs, M. J. Bishop, D. Kay. “Efficient simulation of cardiac electrical propagation using high order finite elements.” Journal of Computational Physics. Vol. 231(10), pp. 3946-3962.